Monday, February 28, 2011

My trip (Part I) - Accommodation

A few days ago, early in the morning, I waked up, put my luggage in the car and started driving. It wasn't a new trip to me, as I had been here two weeks ago with my girlfriend in some kind of half touristic, half "issue solving" travel. But I had left some issues to solve... and they needed to be solved fast. I'm talking about accommodation.

It wasn't easy... I had to fight against burocratic forces, but I got it. Everything began when I came here for the very first time. I was thinking about looking for a flat to share, but I preferred to share with other erasmus roommates, in order to improve my spoken english and learn about other countries and their cultures...

But then, after filling my data in some documents in the Mobility Office, I was introduced to Cecilia, from some kind of Students Support Service, who told me that she could help me with accommodation by staying for some days or weeks in the residence hall called Pousada do IPL. With that on mind, I didn't care about accommodation... Actually, I preferred staying for a couple of weeks at Pousada, then meet some other Erasmus students and maybe rent a flat with some of them.

It was my mistake. I should have looked for a flat two weeks ago. But I didn't. When I came back to Spain I sent an email to Cecilia, asking her for a couple of weeks accommodation at Pousada. And then... all the burocratic stuff began.

I finally got no more than 3 nights of accommodation, so no time for meeting anyone. Then I realized I should quickly get a room by myself. And I did it :)

But I'm not going to show you my current bedroom in this post (I'll do later...) I just want to show you my room at Pousada, where I spent no more no less than one night:

Bedroom section
Kitchen section
Kitchen section on "open doors day"...
It was a nice place, really big for just one person. I felt alone that night, maybe because I knew it was the very first of many to come... Anyway, that wasn't the kind of accommodation I was looking for... Why do you need a big bed if you can't bring other people to your bedroom? Moreover, it wasn't so close to ESTG as my new room is, and it was a little bit annoying to have to leave the room's card in the reception every time I needed to leave the building, which were many. In addition, I felt like being in some kind of militar camp, as I was given a big "welcome package" containing sheets, blanket, pillow, towels... I was wondering where they kept the uniforms...

But people were kind. I met 4 different receptionists in just one day... they helped me to adapt my ears to their different accents. When I was leaving, I also met another student who had just arrived from Spain. She had been there as Erasmus during first semester, so she quickly realized where I was from. It was a little bit embarrassing, because I confused her with the person who was going to read the electricity counter on my departure... but not big deal... just some laughs :D

Ok, enough by now. I have to talk about many things I've lived and some many other I will live... but we'll have time.

See you!

4 comments:

  1. Mas se estás em Portugal, porquê escreves em inglês?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from the north, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Krilin: Voçe escolha:
    a) Because I want to improve my english and I'm afraid this is the only path I could follow.
    b) Because, although my written english is poor, my portuguese is even worse.
    c) Because, maybe, I don't want my parents being able to understand what I write...
    d) Because I can
    e) Because I want
    f) Because yes
    g) Why not? :D

    @Spav: Is it still cold over there? x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @duke It wasn't cold at all, at least to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Anything to say?